Saturday, March 19, 2011

I will stand up for what I believe is best for my child..

Back story, Zach started life alittle jaundice.  He never got above 18 (hit that at 2 weeks)  with alot of nursing we were able to get the levels down to 16 2 dys later.  At his one month apt, doc noticed he was still tiny bit yellow, so we had his levels rechecked.  They were an 8... The doc told me to stop bfing for 3 days and check if the levels go down and if they do, we know it is just breastmilk jaundice and nothing to be worried about.  He wanted to check to make sure his liver is ok.  I tried telling him I didn't want to stop BFing, but his nurse wasn't really listening.  After doing a lot of research, talking to my home nurse, and talking to a doula and lactation consultant, we all decided it was not only not necessary to stop BFing, but a bad idea.  There are a few reasons for breastmilk jaundice and one of them is the baby not getting enough food the first few days of life.. (maybe like being stuck on fluids only for the first 2 days.. like Zach was)  So I called the doc and left a message saying I was NOT stopping and if they had any other options to call me.  That was at 10 in the morning... Finally at 5 the actually Dr. called me back.  He told me that I could avoid other things by just stopping BFing and do formula for 3 days.  Again I told him I wasn't going to stop.. He then told me we can have his liver enzymes checked by doing a lab blood work .. That easy.. ugh.  I said wonderful.   He again told me that we could avoid this test by just stopping and I should be worried about  my supply or the relationship we have (Zach is a great nurser and I don't want to risk that)  I AGAIN told him, I don't care, I am not going to stop.  He didn't seem thrilled by said he would go ahead and order the lab work ordered. 
I don't understand why doing the best thing for my son is such a hard thing for him to understand.  And to risk all that just to rule out other problems.  Also either way Zach is going to need more lab work (either the liver test or another bili level checked.. so its not like I'm saving him from getting blood drawn).  UGH.. But we are getting the liver test done on Monday, so keep that in your T&P
Tummy Time!! 

1 comment:

LaRae said...

go Nikki! I am so proud of you standing up for yourself and your little Z! Lots of hugs for you guys. The blood tests are harder on mom and dad than baby. I finally refused to do anymore jaundice tests on Maya, because they kept testing her, and since I wouldn't supplement.... tests. Doctors are really too smart for their own good. They think they know everything and us silly moms are over reacting. Back in the old days most every baby was breastfed. So get over it docs!