Wednesday, March 16, 2011

One month dr. apt... :(

To start with, Z is doing great!  He weighs 10lb 15 oz and prolly would have been over that.. but he pooped 4 times before getting to the scale.. lol  He grew 3/4 of an in making him 21 3/4!  That puts him in the 75%.  Everything else is looking great!  He has a bit of an eye thing going on, but we just have some meds we have to put in there.  The doc noticed that he does still look alittle yellow-so off to get his bili levels checked again.  We got the results, his level was 8.8(for the record is mild jaundice > 12 is moderate)... so my doc told me to stop breast feeding for 3 days and get him rechecked.  Appearly his jaundice is from my milk, from what I'm reading it is pretty common with newborns that are breast feed.  Even my doctor said it doesn't hurt the baby...  Also from what I've been reading..  You never need to stop breastfeeding...  So I'm going to be calling the doctor tomorrow and let them know that I will NOT be stopping.. and he is fine (with this type of jaundice, it goes away around  2-3 months.. on its own.)  I've also called my LC to confirm with her.  When I questioned the doctor about why I'd need to stop giving my son the best thing I could, he said it was to make sure the jaundice wasn't coming from a different problem.  (scare tactics...)  I'm kinda upset and have lost some faith in my doctor... 

Here is something I found very interesting from one of the sites: (http://pediatrics.about.com/library/breastfeeding/blbreastfeedingh.htm)
"If the baby is truly doing well on breast only, there is no reason, none, to stop breastfeeding or supplement with a lactation aid, for that matter. The notion that there is something wrong with the baby being jaundiced comes from the assumption that the formula feeding baby is the standard by which we should determine how the breastfed baby should be. This manner of thinking, almost universal amongst health professionals, truly turns logic upside down. Thus, the formula feeding baby is rarely jaundiced after the first week of life, and when he is, there is usually something wrong. Therefore, the baby with breastmilk jaundice is a concern and "something must be done". However, in our experience, most exclusively breastfed babies who are perfectly healthy and gaining weight well are still jaundiced at 5-6 weeks of life and even later. The question, in fact, should be whether it is normal not to be jaundiced and is this absence of jaundice something we should worry about? Do not stop breastfeeding for “breastmilk” jaundice."

Here are other websites I found:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/973629-overview
http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/disease/jaundice.htm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000995.htm

No comments: